The Group B+ was established to promote and facilitate
progress on key issues under consideration at the World Intellectual Property
Organization (WIPO) and in particular to move forward on substantive patent law
It is chaired by Ms Patricia Kelly, Director General of IP Australia, and its members
members of WIPO's Group B,
and Singapore attend the meetings as observers.
The Group B+ holds its annual plenary session on the fringes
of the WIPO General Assemblies in Geneva.
In 2014, a Sub-Group B+ was set up to assist the Chair, consisting
of representatives from Canada, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Japan, South Korea, Spain,
the UK, the USA and the EPO.
The Sub-Group has focussed on a package of outstanding
user rights and
While views differ as to the elements that constitute best
practice, substantial progress has been made on the definition of various principles
and objectives governing the issues under consideration.
User and stakeholder
The group attaches great importance to transparency and will
continue to engage with national and regional stakeholders and representatives
from the user community.
by the Group B+
A selection of documents published by Group B+ is provided
by the B+ Sub-Group
- B+ Sub-Group meeting November 2014 summary (PDF, 18 KB)
- B+ Sub-Group meeting April 2015 agreed statement (PDF, 14 KB)
- Objectives and principles, with commentary on potential outcomes (May 2015) (PDF, 156 KB)
- Note by the Chair: Patent harmonisation – objectives and principles paper (June 2015) (PDF, 31 KB)
- Promoting Transparent Use of the Grace Period (EPO-JPO-USPTO, September 2015) (PDF, 204 KB)
Treatment of Conflicting Applications (EPO-JPO-USPTO, September 2015) (PDF, 181 KB)
- B+ Sub-Group meeting May 2016 agreed statement (PDF, 37 KB)
B+ Workstream on Conflicting Applications: Report (PDF, 344 KB)
B+ Workstream on Conflicting Applications: Study on Usage of Secret Prior Art in Patentability Determinations (PDF, 358 KB)
B+ Workstream on Implementation Options: Report (PDF, 712 KB)
B+ Workstream on Non-Prejudicial Disclosures / Grace Period: Report (PDF, 525 KB)
B+ Workstream on Prior User Rights: Report (PDF, 539 KB)
- B+ Workstream on Prior User Rights: Further Work on the Scope of Prior User Rights (PDF, 527 KB)