DOCDB is the EPO's master documentation database with worldwide coverage. It contains bibliographic data, abstracts, citations and the DOCDB simple patent family, but no full text or images.Download a sample file
DOCDB data is the backbone of many commercial products and services. It includes bibliographic data from over 90 countries worldwide. The data goes back as far as the 1830s for some patent authorities, and is available as backfile and frontfile.
1. Check the sample data and information on the main features of raw data products.
2. Order the product from firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. Note your username and password for the download area - you will receive these by e-mail.
4. Process the backfile first.
5. Download and process regular weekly exchange files (usually Tuesday and Thursday).
|Format||XML WIPO ST36|
|Volume||Frontfile: approx. 1 GByte
Backfile: approx. 65 GBytes
|Delivery||Current year (frontfile data) can be downloaded weekly (usually Tuesdays and Thursdays)
Backfile data is available on a set of DVDs and/or for download
|Price||Annual subscription (first-time customers): EUR 11 610
Annual subscription (download): EUR 2 630
Backfile: EUR 8 890
Companies wishing to offer products or services based on EPO raw data, or who already do so, must sign a licence agreement.
DOCDB user documentation
The documentation provides the technical specifications (according to WIPO and ISO standards) for the XML exchange format in the (bibliographic) master database DOCDB. It also provides a technical description of the DOCDB data.
See our manuals section.
Other useful resources
You might also be interested in these products and services, which are similar or include the same data: