As a foreign applicant, do I need to appoint a professional representative in India?

The law does not say that you have to. However, if you reside abroad, you must furnish an address for service in India which will be used for all communications from the Indian Patent Office. The address of an authorised patent agent, for example, could serve as an address for service.

If you require a more detailed answer, please send us your question using the contact form.