EPO launches its new Patent Quality Charter
The EPO is pleased to announce that its new Patent Quality Charter will enter into force on 1 October 2022. Delivering high-quality patents and services remains the EPO's top priority. A fast-changing digital environment calls for a dynamic approach to keep our products closely aligned with users' demands and expectations.
The charter draws on extensive consultation with a wide spectrum of stakeholders, including the SACEPO working party on quality. It sets out the principles shaping EPO's quality policy and reflects our continuous journey towards excellence.
What does ‘quality' mean at the EPO?
Our stakeholders rely on European patents - delivered in a timely manner - to provide the highest levels of legal certainty, predictability and consistency. Conceived as the touchstone of quality for both the Office and its stakeholders, this charter is built on five pillars:
- design: building systems to deliver quality products and services
- support: promoting knowledge-sharing to achieve excellence
- shared values: nurturing sustainable quality from sharing our values
- metrics and learning: fostering a culture of continuous learning
- dialogue: exercising continuous engagement with stakeholders
The charter enables a shared understanding of quality, ultimately guiding the EPO as it aims to deliver products and services that consistently meet the highest standards.
- Patent Quality Charter
- Strategic Plan 2023: Goal 3
- Quality Report 2021