INFORMATION FROM THE EPO
Notices of the President of the EPO
Notice from the President of the European Patent Office dated 22 July 1997 concerning the filing of European patent applications prepared by means of the EASY software
The EASY software developed by the EPO enables applicants to prepare European patent applications in electronic form. Using the software, forms data equivalent to those entered on the paper Request for Grant form (EPO Form 10011) and related forms (eg designation of inventor) are entered. An externally prepared word processor file containing the technical documents is attached to the forms data and both files are stored on a filing diskette. The possibility of filing by diskette is an intermediate step in the development of the EASY project, the eventual goal of which is to enable patent applications to be filed on-line.
After successful completion of the test phase2, the EASY software is now available to all applicants. European patent applications prepared by means of the EASY software can be validly filed by all applicants as from 15 September 1997, provided that the following conditions have been met:
1. The applicant or representative wishing to avail himself of the possibility of filing applications prepared by means of the EASY software must register with the EPO and accept the Loan Conditions for the use of the EASY software.
2. The latest version of the software must be used (currently version 1.14).
3. The application is to be filed with EPO Form 1001E, which is a paper print-out generated by the EASY software after completion of the application in electronic form on the applicant's personal computer. Form 1001E is to be duly signed by the applicant or his representative and is to be accompanied by one paper copy of the technical documents, ie the description, the claims and any drawings referred to in the description or the claims, and preferably also of the abstract.
4. The paper documents mentioned under 3 must be accompanied by a diskette containing at least the request for grant, the description and the claims (and preferably also the abstract) corresponding to the paper documents in the electronic format prescribed in the EASY Users' Guide, and by a conformity statement (the conformity statement contains confirmation that the contents of the diskette are identical to the paper print-out of these contents and is generated as a paper print-out by the EASY software). The conformity statement is to be duly signed by the applicant or representative. The diskette may contain the drawings, but these may also be filed in paper form only.
5. The application is to be filed with the EPO in Munich, The Hague or Berlin, or with one of the following central industrial property offices under Article 75(1)(b) EPC:
France: INPI, Paris
United Kingdom: the Patent Office in Newport or London
Switzerland: the Swiss Federal Institute for Intellectual Property in Berne.
EPO Form 1001E is recognised as a Request for Grant form in the sense of Rule 26(1) EPC.
EPO Form 1001E and the paper copy of the technical documents accompanying Form 1001E will constitute the authentic version of the application. The date of receipt of these documents will be the date of receipt of the application.
Registered EASY users will automatically receive new versions of the EASY software.
Applicants or representatives wishing to register as EASY users and obtain a copy of the EP-EASY software free of charge or who require further information may contact the EPO at the following address:
EASY Help Desk
European Patent Office
NL-2288 EE RIJSWIJK
Tel.: (+ 31-70) 340 2669
Fax: (+ 31-70) 340 3975
e-mail: CompuServe: 100336, 3413