European Patent Convention
17th edition / November 2020
The 17th edition of the European Patent Convention features:
- the text of the Convention on the Grant of European Patents (EPC) as in force since 13 December 2007
- the EPC Implementing Regulations as in force since 1 July 2020
- the Rules relating to Fees as in force since 1 July 2020
- the rules of procedure of the Boards of Appeal and the Enlarged Board of Appeal
- the protocols which are integral parts of the EPC (Protocol on the Interpretation of Article 69 EPC, Protocol on Centralisation, Protocol on Recognition, Protocol on Privileges and Immunities, Protocol on Staff Complement)
- an extract from the EPC Revision Act of 29 November 2000 and
- the Administrative Council's decision of 28 June 2001 on the transitional provisions under Article 7 of the Revision Act.
It also contains an index of decisions and opinions of the Enlarged Board of Appeal published in the EPO's Official Journal and an EPC 1973/EPC 2000 cross-reference index.
The EPC is published in English, French and German and is only available electronically.
This version is regularly updated, shows all texts as currently in force and includes links to Official Journal items.
Select "Show modifications" to view amendments. The check box is disabled for sections with no amendments.Go to the European Patent Convention
This printable pdf version of the latest edition of the EPC does not reflect any amendments adopted by the Administrative Council since its publication.
This is the best version to use for browsing the entire text offline and for full-text searching.Download European Patent Convention, 17th edition, 2020