Our commitment to excellence
The EPO contributes to
achieving the UN sustainable development goals and a safer, smarter, and more
sustainable world by delivering high-quality patents and services, fostering
innovation, competitiveness, and economic growth in technologies of
It does so based on a solid legal
framework and thanks to the expertise of its staff. Our stakeholders rely on us
for timely delivery and the highest levels of legal certainty, predictability,
To meet their expectations, we regularly review our procedures and how
we collaborate, including how we can support and learn from each other.
We consistently live our values in every aspect of our work, whether
it's processing patent applications, conducting post-grant proceedings or
interacting with our user community. We are committed to
excellence at all stages of the patent grant process and actively promote
quality ownership among all stakeholders.
Quality through design
our systems to deliver quality products and services
- We design and review our processes and
workflows to increase transparency, efficiency and legal certainty.
- We develop tools and procedures to better
engage with and serve our workforce and the users of the European patent
- We offer and promote collaborative and
interactive ways of working to help all parties gain experience and improve
- We provide reliable interfaces and databases
to ensure secure access to the relevant state of the art.
Quality through support
promote knowledge sharing to achieve excellence
- We facilitate access to expertise to support
- We nurture cross-departmental communities of
practice and provide resources, tools and services that allow our staff to
exchange best practices.
- We harness the power of artificial
intelligence to enhance our digital workflows.
- We foster a culture of mutual learning and
appreciation through initiatives such as the new audit dialogue to further
- We actively help and support each other, enabling
us to create the collaborative environment we strive for.
Quality through shared values
We believe that sustainable quality results from a set of shared values
- Ownership, commitment and pride in serving
the European patent system belong to our core values.
- We recognise that delivering the highest
quality standards is essential to the long‑term sustainability of the European
- We are each and every one of us responsible
and accountable for quality in the patent process.
- We foster internal and external
collaboration at all stages of the patent process to achieve the highest
quality of products and services.
Quality through metrics and
We build on a culture of continuous learning
- We rely on robust quality metrics to make
ongoing improvements to the efficiency of our services and the quality of our
- We track accuracy and compliance with
quality controls and audits, and with the help of our expert network.
- We use root-cause analysis to identify ways
we can improve.
- We foster our internal quality culture by
facilitating fact-based decision-making.
- We promote open and transparent feedback
channels between peers and experts, including exchange platforms, training and
Quality through dialogue
believe in strong engagement and dialogue with stakeholders
- We engage in dialogue with
our stakeholders to understand expectations
and respond to needs.
- We involve our stakeholders and value all feedback as
we look to continuously improve our products and services.
- We regularly survey and engage with our
stakeholders through open and inclusive consultation exercises to determine
whether we are meeting their expectations.
- We respond to customer enquiries and
requests in a timely fashion.
We trust that this commitment to deliver products and services of the
highest quality in a consistent and efficient manner, and to ensure legal
certainty, leads to higher user satisfaction and confidence in the European