DOCDB is the EPO's master documentation database with worldwide coverage. It contains bibliographic data, abstracts, citations and the DOCDB simple patent family, but no full text or images.Download a sample file
DOCDB data is the backbone of many commercial products and services. It includes bibliographic data from over 90 countries worldwide. The data goes back as far as the 1830s for some patent authorities, and is available as backfile and frontfile.
1. Check the sample data and information on the main features of bulk data sets.
2. Order the product from firstname.lastname@example.org.
3. You will receive your user name and password for the download area by e-mail.
4. Process the backfile first.
5. Download and process regular weekly exchange files (usually Tuesday and Thursday).
||See weekly updated statistics|
|Volume||Frontfile: approx. 1 GB (zipped)
Backfile: approx. 110 GB (zipped)
|Delivery||Current data (frontfile) is available as a weekly download.
Backfile data is available for download once a year.
Annual subscription (first-time customers):
The EPO's bulk data sets are also referred to as "raw data products" or "EPO databases".
The documentation provides the technical specifications (according to WIPO and ISO standards) for the XML exchange format in the (bibliographic) master database DOCDB. It also provides a technical description of the DOCDB data.